20 Easy Ice Breaker Questions to Make Your Team Stronger
So, you’re looking for a way to bring your team closer together. You plan a great team session. You let the team know – but everyone’s a little sceptical. You know what you need – an ice breaker!
Ice breaker questions are one of the best ways to help unify a group of people – but beware! Done badly they can be really painful and shut people down – exactly the opposite of what you want them to do.
Whether you have a group interview in mind, a mid-week team meeting, or even a one on one catch up with an employee, a good ice breaker will get people thinking creatively and open up dialogue channels. Once the conversation is flowing, the rest of your talks will not only be smoother but more productive!
What is an Ice Breaker?
Ice breaker games or activities are quick and easy ways for people to get to know each other. When successfully implemented it can help to improve conversation, participation, and warm people up to the prospect of working together. It is also an extremely useful tool to help people who haven’t met before to feel more comfortable.
Even if the participants already know each other it can help get them in a team-building mood and mindset.
Downsides to Ice Breaker Activities
Unfortunately, ice breaker questions aren’t always done properly. Some are cheesy, convoluted scenarios that make people awkward and self-conscious create barriers, rather than pulling them down. While a good ice breaker will embrace the unique aspects that makes us who we are, a bad one will make people feel vulnerable.
If you are looking to incorporate ice breaker questions and activities into your team building exercises, meetings, or hiring process then here are some questions that can help get the conversations started.
30 Ice Breaker Questions to Get Your Team Talking
1. What was your first job?
2. If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
4. Where is your dream holiday destination?
5. What was your favourite subject at school?
6. What superpower would you choose?
7. If you had a time machine that could only go one direction would you go to the past or the future?
8. If you could instantly learn a new skill, what would you choose?
9. What was the first record you bought?
10. Do you collect anything?
11. What is your favourite outdoors activity?
12. If you could visit a fictional location, where would you go?
13. What’s your favourite type of breakfast cereal?
14. If you were famous, what would you be famous for?
15. What do you identify with more – a river, a lake, or an ocean?
16. If you were stranded on an island, what three items would you HAVE to have?
17. Does your car have a name?
18. What would be the most surprising scientific discovery possible?
19. If you won the lottery tomorrow and didn’t need to work, what would you do with your free time?
20. What did you want to be when you grew up?
21. If you could speak a new language tomorrow what would it be?
22. You can make one item unlimited for you forever, what do you choose?
23. What’s the first thing you notice about someone?
24. Would you give up – your phone or air con?
25. What qualities do you most admire in someone?
26. Does your name have a meaning?
27. Who is your hero?
28. What’s your favourite thing to cook?
29. If you had an autobiography, what would it’s title be?
30. What do you want to be doing 20 years from now?
Try these questions next time you have a team activity or use them to make your own! The best part about ice breaker questions is that you’ll never hear the same answer twice. Once people are talking freely, you’ll find that your meetings and interviews will flow much more smoothly and be far more productive.
- 20 Easy Ice Breaker Questions to Make Your Team Stronger
- If the Perfect Candidate Was In Front of You, Would You Even Know?
- A Look at the Real Recruiting Trends for 2019
- JobGetter Update | Enhanced Job Statistics, Diversity Badges, Aged Care Workforce Report +
- JobGetter Update | Vicinity Centres, Millennial Workforce Report, Nationwide Ads +